Super Skin Bok Choy Smoothie Recipe
Here’s a quick recipe for better skin using bok choy and other healthy foods in a smoothie that taste great and contains some exceptional nutrition for your skin.
If you could make up this bok choy smoothie once or twice a week I’d be very surprised if you didn’t see a significant improvement in your skin’s appearance in a few weeks.
Here’s the recipe.
Smoothie Ingredients and Why They Are Included
- 1 organic bok choy, soaked in hot water and vinegar and roughly chopped. Bok choy is rich in the skin nutrients vitamins C and K, folate, potassium and selenium and particularly antioxidants carotenoids that protect your skin cells from free radical damage.
- 1 organic cucumber, chopped (if not organic, peel it to remove waxes and pesticides). Cucumber is an excellent source of skin improving silica and has a cooling effect that can reduce skin redness.
- 2 kiwifruit (cutting them in half and scooping out the beautiful green pulp with a teaspoon is much faster than trying to peel them). Kiwi is rich in vitamin C for collagen production and skin protection.
- Half a large or 1 small avocado. Avocados have healthy monounsaturated fats and vitamin E for better skin and a wealth of other important nutrients.
- 1 organic apple. Apples are rich in a variety of protective antioxidants, potassium and copper and have good levels of fiber for digestive health.
- 3 to 4 branches of organic parsley (or regular parsley soaked in hot water and vinegar), well chopped.Parsley is a particularly cleansing green superfood for your liver and kidneys. When these organs are working effectively there are less toxins for your skin to have to eliminate. It also contains high levels of vitamin K, vitamin C, beta carotene, minerals like copper and zinc and volatile oils with antibacterial and antifungal properties that can help with acne and skin blemishes.
- 1 heaped tablespoon of ground flaxseed (preferably organic) or a teaspoon of flaxseed oil. Flax is one of the richest sources of omega-3 alpha linolenic acid that promotes beautiful skin and can be used to treat many skin diseases like eczema and psoriasis.
- 2 heaped tablespoons of desiccated coconut or 2 teaspoons of organic coconut oil. Coconut, and particularly its oil, are rich in lauric acid which has strong antifungal and antimicrobial properties. Taking it regularly is believed to keep your skin feeling soft and looking youthful. Extra virgin coconut oil is also very effective as a topical treatment for improving your skin.
- A cup of real unflavored bio-live yogurt. True yogurt (not the sugary flavored kinds you most often see in supermarkets) is full of probiotics for healthy intestinal flora, which can also have a big bearing on your skin’s appearance.
- Half a cup of coconut water, almond milk, or organic milk if you tolerate it and a couple of ice cubes.
How to Make a Bok Choy Smoothie
How well you need to chop up your ingredients will depend on the quality of your blender. I use this one almost every day and it is probably the most important piece of equipment in my kitchen.
This bok choy smoothie will be easier to blend if you start with the greens at the base. Follow these with the ground flax seed and desiccated coconut if you’re using them, or the oils and then the heavier fruits on top.
Next pour the yogurt and milk over these and blend on high until it’s all smooth. Drink immediately for the best taste and most nutritional value.
I hope you enjoy this bok choy smoothie recipe as much as I do and I’d really appreciate hearing what you think in the comments below if you make it up yourself.
For more smoothies and juices for better skin, try some of these great tasting and nutritious recipes using superfoods.