Avocado Omelette – A Superfood Breakfast
Here’s a great tasting avocado omelette recipe, packed with nutrition for an extremely healthy breakfast to start the day with.
Eggs are full of easily digested protein, vitamin A, choline, folate, potassium, phosphorus, selenium and zinc. They also fill you up really well and give you a much steadier, more consistent and longer lasting energy than sugary cereals or toast first thing in the morning.
There’s a lot of superfoods in this healthy avocado omelette and you might not have all of them, or want to exclude some based on personal taste.
That’s fine. I think of this as my ultimate avocado omelette recipe with everything, but feel free to experiment and make it your own.
Avocado Omelette Ingredients
- Two large or three smaller organic, free range eggs. Free range eggs are superior nutritionally to cage eggs and far more humane for the chickens for only a little extra.
- A quarter of an avocado, diced.
- One spring onion.
- Two or three shiitake mushrooms. Portobello or chestnut mushrooms can replace these, but shiitake are extremely healthy and taste great in omelettes too.
- One teaspoon of dried parsley.
- One clove of crushed garlic.
- A quarter of a teaspoon of high curcumin turmeric. I’ve had friends surprised at this ingredient, but a little turmeric adds just the slightest taste for its many health benefits. It’s possible the parsley in this omelette recipe softens the flavor of both this and the garlic.
- One organic sun-dried tomato, finely chopped.
- A little organic goat’s milk feta cheese. Goat’s milk cheese is considered healthier than regular cheese and has a strong flavor so you don’t need too much. Perhaps a heaped tablespoon of crumbled feta as a rough guide.
- Himalayan crystal salt and cracked black pepper to taste.
- Cold pressed avocado oil for gentle frying.
As mentioned, you don’t have to use all of these ingredients to make a healthy avocado omelette. If you can get them though I would recommend trying this recipe with all of them at least once. It really tastes great.
How to Make an Avocado Omelette
- Begin with a little avocado oil in the bottom of a small frying pan. Chop up and add the spring onion and let it gently fry on a low heat. Now is also a good time to turn on your oven grill to get it ready to raise the omelette soon.
- Chop up the shiitake mushrooms and semi dried tomatoes and stir them into the mix. You can of course use a knife and chopping board to chop up your ingredients, but I’ve always found kitchen scissors quicker, better and less washing up at the end.
- Crack your eggs into a bowl and whisk them up with a fork until they’re well blended. Add the parsley, turmeric, crystal salt, cracked pepper and crumble in the feta cheese before briefly whisking again. If you want your omelette to really rise you could add a dash of organic milk as well, but I don’t use it personally and think that the feta cheese is enough.
- Add the crushed garlic to the frying pan with the spring onions, mushrooms and semi-dried tomatoes and stir well. As great as it smells, you don’t want to cook garlic for too long or you lose many of its beneficial properties.
- On top of the onions and mushrooms add the diced avocado, spread it out a little and immediately pour the egg mixture over the top of it.
- At this point you can turn the temperature up to medium heat and let the omelette cook for around a minute to a minute and a half. Once the edges are just starting to look cooked, take the frying pan off the hotplate and place it close under your grill at a medium heat until risen.
- Keep an eye on it as this can happen quickly and you don’t want to burn it. Once the avocado omelette has risen up, take it out of the grill, shake the frying pan a little to losen it and turn it onto a plate, folded in half.
- Enjoy this healthy omelette with avocado immediately. For most people a breakfast like this should provide stable energy for many hours and is much more satisfying than sugary and fattening cereals.
There’s much more on why avocados aren’t fattening and can actually help you lose weight here.