Avocado and Kale Smoothie Recipe
Smoothies made with superfoods like avocado and kale make it easy to get concentrated nutrition into your family’s diet.
They can also be a great way to have highly nutritious greens, that don’t always lend themselves to simple recipes.
Using avocado in this recipe adds a creaminess, flavor and some wonderful nutritional properties.
Mixed with all the minerals, vitamins and phytonutrients in kale, along with banana and kiwi fruit, this makes for an incredibly energizing and very tasty green smoothie.
Green Smoothie Ingredients
- Half a ripe avocado.
- A handful of organic kale. Unfortunately, healthy as it is, conventionally grown kale often has pesticide residues. If this is all you can find, soak it in hot water with a splash of vinegar first. Ideally though, organic is best.
- 1 medium sized banana.
- 2 kiwi fruit. Scooping out the fruit from the skin with a teaspoon is much quicker than trying to pare the skin off with a knife.
- Enough ‘milk’ of your choice to reach two thirds as high as the ingredients in your blender. I much prefer this new Milkadamia over conventional cow’s milk with it’s hormones, antibiotics and gas causing lactose.
- A couple of ice cubes if you’d like it cold.
- 1 cup of diced papaya for many more health nutrients, along with proteolytic enzymes for digestive health.
- 3 tablespoons of fresh flaxseed meal increases the already high fiber content in this smoothie and adds essential omega-3 and estrogen controlling lignans.
- 1 cup of chopped pineapple gives extra antioxidants, vitamins and digestive enzymes. A good blender will handle the pineapple core so make sure you add it as it contains the most bromelain.
- 3 tablespoons of raw pumpkin seeds for more vitamins and minerals, along with phytosterols and special DHT inhibiting nutrients.
How to Make a Kale and Avocado Smoothie
If you enjoy making and drinking smoothies, it makes sense to get a good blender. I’ve had them in the past and found cheap blenders are false economy. Ice or any harder ingredients quickly wears them out and they seldom blend leafy greens like kale very well.
The difference, once I got this brilliant high powered blender, was amazing. Ice, nuts, seeds and other harder ingredients are all blended up instantly. Even tougher greens like parsley stems are pureed and drunk down with all the nutrients released from the fiber.
- To quickly make this refreshing avocado and kale smoothie, first push down the handful of kale close to the blades of your blender.
- Next add your banana and yogurt.
- Top it off with the avocado, kiwi fruit and ice.
- Blend it all up until the green smoothie is smooth and creamy.
This recipe has a generous helping of vitamin C to help prevent oxidation, but it’s still best to enjoy it as soon as you finish blending. If you find it too much to drink all at once you can freeze the remainder for a delicious and healthy frozen shake for another time.
I’d appreciate hearing what you think of this avocado, kiwi, banana and kale smoothie and any other variations that you’ve tried. It’s a simple way and enjoyable way to get a lot of nutrition into your diet.
There’s more smoothies and other great tasting recipes using very health foods in the Superfood Recipes section.
Photo 1 credit with thanks: ktmadeblog
This article may contain affiliate links to products I recommend. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.