3 Homemade Avocado Oil Hair Treatments
Here are 3 simple yet very beneficial avocado oil treatments for your hair to improve its softness and shine, and even strength and thickness over time.
There is no need to buy expensive commercial conditioning treatments when these are so easy to make at home, all from ingredients straight out of the kitchen.
Let’s have a look at 3 easy and natural ways to improve your hair tonight with avocado oil.
1. Avocado Hot Oil Treatment
- Blend 2 to 4 tablespoons of cold pressed and unrefined avocado oil (depending on length of your hair) with 2 to 4 tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil and heat them in a saucepan on a very low heat until warmed to a comfortable temperature.
- If you have it, you can add a few drops of rosemary essential oil and mix it in. Other essential oils like lavender or sandalwood can also be used, but rosemary oil is known to be especially good for thicker hair and a healthy scalp.
- Apply this hot oil hair mask to freshly washed hair and gently massage it in.
- Cover with a shower cap, or ideally wrap it in a very warm towel you don’t mind washing and leave for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Wash out well as normal, but you won’t need any conditioner after this hot oil treatment. Many people online say they’ve never felt their hair as soft or seen it so shining as after using the natural hair mask.
2. Homemade Avocado Oil Hair Mask
- Whisk up 2 tablespoons of avocado oil, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon of honey and 3 tablespoons of natural yogurt (the real yogurt, not the sugary ‘fruit’ stuff).
- Smooth this hair mask over damp hair and gently work it in. Cover with a shower cap and leave for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash out thoroughly, preferably with a good chemical free shampoo like this, but as with the hot oil treatment, you won’t need any store bought conditioner after this avocado oil hair mask has done its work.
3. Simple Conditioner Enhancement
- The easiest of all avocado oil hair treatments is to simply buy a natural conditioner, with as little chemicals in it is possible, squeeze some out and add a similar amount of avocado oil to it while it’s in your palm.
- Mix it together in your hands before rubbing the avocado conditioner into your hair as you would normally.
- Leave it in your hair for a few minutes before washing it out. You might need to do this a couple of times for longer or curly hair to get the best results.
Not having hair long enough to really warrant the other hair masks above that often, this is the avocado oil hair treatment I usually do myself.
I’ve definitely noticed a difference in the shine, strength and even thickness of my hair since using avocado oil on it like this.
Avocado Oil for Better Hair
I actually keep one bottle of this extra virgin and unrefined avocado oil in the bathroom as an oil treatment for my hair and as a face moisturizer. Another one I use just in the kitchen for healthy cooking at high temperatures and as a great tasting salad dressing.
Regardless of where you keep it, avocado oil is best stored in a dark cupboard, away from the sunlight for the longest shelf life.
As good as these avocado oil hair masks and treatments are at bringing some quick strength and shine, really healthy hair comes from good internal nutrition over time.
Avocado oil has many health benefits, including improving your hair’s thickness and shine, when you make it a regular part of your diet. For the best kind to get see the page on where to find good quality versions online.
Photo credit with thanks: David Monniaux