A Maca and Blueberry Testosterone Smoothie Recipe
Blueberry smoothies are delicious but this special recipe for increasing testosterone and raising libido is far more than just something nice to drink.
Each of the ingredients in this smoothie recipe plays its part in making it a powerful treatment for elevating one of the most important of hormones for both men and women — testosterone.
For people lacking in the many nutrients this testosterone smoothie provides, drinking it can make the kind of difference most people usually only associate with expensive little tablets.
Let’s have a look at what’s in this testosterone boosting smoothie and why each of them is so good for proper sex hormone function and a strong and healthy libido.
Why This Blueberry and Maca Smoothie Can Help Testosterone Production
Blueberries are full of free-radical scavenging antioxidants and phytonutrients. It’s difficult for your body to make adequate testosterone if it’s under oxidative stress and berries of all types are great for combating this.
Blueberries also contain resveratrol and calcium-D-glucarate, both considered beneficial for counteracting excessive estrogen and ensuring a positive hormone balance in your body.
Add blueberries, fresh or frozen, to as many smoothie recipes as you can.
Maca is a Peruvian root vegetable that contain sterol compounds that can block excess estrogen production while boosting testosterone levels.
Properly prepared maca also has a mild, nutty flavor that goes well in most smoothies.
Be aware that maca powder, like this highly rated organic version, can have a significant upward impact on your libido and sex drive.
Grass Fed Whey Protein
Increasing testosterone levels can help to build lean muscle, but only if you have enough free amino acids from good quality protein.
Protein is essential for muscle growth and repair and thousands of other important biological processes within your body each day.
Undenatured whey protein from grass fed milk is one of the very best sources of protein. It also provides beneficial conjugated linoleic acid, immunoglobulins, lactoferrin and cysteine for increased glutathione production.
Testosterone production need saturated fats and coconut oil contains some of the best. Coconut oil and its medium chain triglycerides also have thermogenic properties making it particularly valuable for anyone wanting to lose weight.
Bok choy is a cruciferous vegetable that contains anti-estrogenic chemicals like indole-3-carbinol and diindolylmethane (DIM).
With high levels of vitamin C, vitamin K, B vitamins, iron and selenium, bok choy is a mild tasting addition to this testosterone smoothie without the stronger flavor of other cruciferous vegetables.
Celery contains two androgens called androstenol and androstenone and is believed to directly boost testosterone production within your body.
It also contains an anti-estrogenic flavonoid known as apigenin to gently lower testosterone’s arch nemesis estrogen.
Bodybuilders often drink celery juice for its testosterone enhancing properties but adding celery to your smoothie is even better.
Of course you’ll need a good blender, like this high powered one I use in my kitchen, to pulverize it up finely.
Mucuna is another South American herb that helps to increase testosterone and enhance libido.
It has many more benefits as a daily tonic. Don’t exceed a teaspoon of the powder daily though unless you are sure you tolerate it well.
Brazil nuts are rich source of selenium in particular, but also have zinc, arginine and beneficial fatty acids. All of these make Brazil nuts a premier testosterone boosting food.
It’s best to get Brazil nuts with the brown skin still on as this contains many of the nutrients.
Don’t have too many though. Just 2 Brazil nuts generally contains around the RDI of selenium and a handful may be too much for some people.
- Half a cup of blueberries, soaked in hot water with a splash of vinegar to clean them. Fresh is best but good quality frozen blueberries are acceptable.
- 20 – 30 grams of grass fed whey protein like this.
- A stick of celery, well scrubbed.
- 1 – 2 teaspoons of organic maca powder.
- 1 small or half a large bok choy, well scrubbed (separate the leaves).
- 1 teaspoon of this high strength organic mucuna powder.
- 2 Brazil nuts.
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil.
- ‘Milk’ of your choice. I recommend a half/half mix of coconut milk and water. Alternatively, good hemp milk, nut milk or organic cow’s milk if you tolerate it. Estrogenic soy milk and regular feedlot cow’s milk is best avoided.
- Optional: A few drops of stevia for extra sweetness. Definitely don’t use sugar as it’s a testosterone killer.
How to Make a Testosterone Boosting Smoothie
- Start by assembling your ingredients. Don’t worry if you don’t have everything. Just make up the recipe with what you have and add extra ingredients in future to make it even stronger.
- If not organic, soak the blueberries, bok choy and celery in a large bowl of hot water with a splash of vinegar.
- Scrub the celery and open up the leaves of the bok choy a bit to make sure they’re clean.
- Chop up both to fit and throw them into your blender jug, along with all the other ingredients.
- Add ‘milk’ of your choice to around two thirds the height of your ingredients in the blender jug.
- Blend it up on high for 5 to 10 seconds and enjoy immediately for best results.
If you’re short on time you can make up a larger smoothie and freeze the remainder to have the following day as a frozen dessert.
Smoothie Timing Recommendations
This testosterone smoothie would be great to have straight after a workout for maximum effect. I also like it as a replacement breakfast, or as a late afternoon pick me up if dinner is a while away.
There’s quite a lot in this libido raising smoothie recipe, but it’s likely that men will be most interested in it so I’m sure most can handle it, particularly after exercise.
That said, a little extra testosterone is highly beneficial for women as well and particularly for the elderly of both sexes as natural testosterone production decreases as we age.
Generally, soon after strenuous physical activity is the ideal time to drink this smoothie to both optimize your hormones and improve your sex drive. Some people may find it a little too energizing for the evening though, or even late afternoon.
In that case, first thing in the morning as a breakfast replacement is the next best time.
I hope you like this blueberry maca smoothie recipe for testosterone. Even if you don’t have all the ingredients to start with I’d recommend trying it with as many as you have and seeing how good it makes you feel.
For people who are lacking a little in the hormonal and libido department, making up this smoothie recipe regularly should make a noticeable difference, both in and out of the bedroom.
Please share it and I’d appreciate your comments if you make up this testosterone boosting smoothie for yourself.