Avocado Oil for Hair Growth and 3 Homemade Treatments
Can avocado oil help with hair growth and if so what’s in it that makes it work?
Many sites give a long list of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, omega-3s and other nutrients supposedly in the oil, and why they are responsible for its beneficial effects. These are all incorrect.
The truth about using avocado oil on your hair is much simpler.
First though, a quick correction of the many myths and misinformation online.
Myths Vs Facts
Avocado oil is not a source of protein. It is an oil after all and the whole purpose of extracting an oil is the removal of proteins, carbohydrates and any other substances that aren’t fat based.
Take a look at the nutritional information on a bottle of it and you will see the protein content listed as zero.
While fresh avocados are a great source of vitamins and minerals, the oil itself is not. One exception is fat soluble vitamin E which is more concentrated.
Even a very good cold-pressed and unrefined oil like this, is still created by separating the oil from the rest of the pulp. Water soluble nutrients like vitamins C and the B vitamins are naturally removed.
Finally, while it does contain some omega-3 fatty acids, the amount is relatively small.
Far more important, from a hair benefits point of view, is the very high amounts of monounsaturated oleic acid found in this oil.
Why Avocado Oil is Good for Your Hair
The monounsaturated fatty acid content in cold pressed avocado oil is even higher than extra virgin olive oil. This is the main reason why it is so good for your hair.
Many people’s hair is dry, damaged and weak from poor nutrition, heat styling, chemical treatments and environmental pollution.
Monounsaturated fats, when applied directly to your hair in a mask or hot oil treatment, will moisturize, nourish and strengthen hair strands, improving the way they look and protecting them from damage.
Massaging the oil into your scalp also stimulates blood flow to your hair follicles. With improved blood flow and circulation to the scalp, more nutrients can reach the follicles to stimulate new growth and healthier hair in general.
Finally, and most beneficially for preventing hair loss, the oleic acid, phytosterols and high levels of antioxidant vitamin E in avocado oil are quickly absorbed into your scalp and hair shafts.
This not only has a highly moisturizing and protective effect against environmental stressors and damage, it can also stimulate new growth and help unclog blocked follicles.
3 Homemade Hair Treatments
Here are 3 simple and effective natural treatments for your hair you can make at home. They can quickly improve its softness, shine and even strength and thickness over time.
There is no need to buy expensive commercial conditioning treatments when these are so easy to make at home, all from ingredients straight out of the kitchen.
1. Avocado Hot Oil Treatment
- Blend 2 to 4 tablespoons of cold pressed and unrefined avocado oil, like this organic one I use, with 2 to 4 tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil and heat in a saucepan on a very low heat until warmed to a comfortable temperature.
- If you have it, you can add a few drops of rosemary essential oil and mix it in. Rosemary oil is known to be especially good for thicker hair and a healthy scalp.
- Apply this hot oil hair mask to freshly washed hair and gently massage it into your scalp.
- Cover with a shower cap, or ideally wrap it in a very warm towel you don’t mind washing and leave for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash out as normal, though you won’t need any conditioner after this hot oil treatment. Many people online say they’ve never felt their hair as soft or seen it so shiny as after doing it.
2. Homemade Hair Mask
- Whisk up 2 tablespoons of avocado oil, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon of honey and 3 tablespoons of natural yogurt (the real yogurt, not the sugary ‘fruit’ stuff).
- Smooth this hair mask over damp hair and gently work it in with your fingers.
- Cover with a shower cap and leave for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash out thoroughly, preferably with a good chemical free shampoo like this, but as with the hot oil treatment, you won’t need any store bought conditioner after this hair mask has done its work.
3. Simple Conditioner Enhancement
- The easiest of all hair treatments with avocado oil is to simply squeeze some of your regular conditioner into your palm in the shower and then add a similar amount of the oil to it.
- Mix it together in your hands before rubbing this avocado conditioner into your hair as you would normally.
- Leave it in your hair for a few minutes before washing it out. You might need to do this a couple of times for longer or curly hair to get the best results.
A Natural Treatment for Better Hair
Another one I use just in the kitchen for healthy cooking at high temperatures and as a great tasting salad dressing.
As good as these avocado oil hair masks and treatments are at bringing some quick strength and shine, really healthy hair comes from good internal nutrition over time.
Avocado oil has many benefits, including improving your hair’s thickness and shine, when you make it a regular part of your diet. See this page for the best brand to buy online and how to avoid low quality oils.
I hope these homemade hair treatments have been helpful. I’d appreciate reading in the comments how they work if you make them up for yourself.