1UP Nutrition Reds and Greens Review: Pros and Cons, Ingredients, Does It Work and Is It Worth It?
This independent review of 1UP Nutrition Vegan Reds and Greens has the full ingredients list, pros and cons, how much it costs and whether it’s worth the price.
Also ahead, company information, customer reviews and complaints, potential side effects and precautions, how it tastes, and my verdict and rating on this popular organic greens and reds supplement.
What is 1UP Nutrition Reds and Greens?
Vegan Reds and Greens is a powdered superfood formula made by the company 1UP Nutrition. They say it “supports the immune system, promotes gut health and reduces bloating, boosts metabolism and supports a healthy digestive system”.
1UP Nutrition Greens and Reds ingredients are listed in 6 areas: Greens Complex, Prebiotic Fiber, Antioxidant Reds Complex, Metabolic Complex, Digestive Enzymes Complex and Probiotic Complex. I’ll cover each of these areas in detail in both the Ingredients and Pros and Cons sections ahead.
All of the fruits, vegetables, greens, berries and herbs in this superfood powder are USDA-certified organic and the formulation clearly has a strong focus on gut health with probiotics, prebiotics and digestive enzymes included.
1UP Greens and Reds is vegan, soy-free, dairy-free, gluten-free and non-GMO. It is also free of artificial flavors and added sugars. Instead, this product is sweetened with calorie-free stevia and uses only natural flavors.
2023 Alternative to 1UP Reds and Greens
In a highly unusual update, I’ve found a competitor product, Gaspari Nutrition Proven Greens and Reds, which has virtually identical ingredients and a larger 12.69 oz tub size, yet is more than $20 cheaper than 1UP Reds and Greens here on iHerb with free USA delivery.
I can’t say why these two different companies are selling such similar powdered greens formulas, but the price difference is obviously significant.
Aside from cost, the only major difference I can see between these two superfood supplements is a wider range of flavors in 1UP’s Greens and Reds.
The pros and cons, nutritional benefits and vast majority of my research shared ahead in this review of 1UP Nutrition Reds and Greens would apply to Gaspari Greens and Reds powder as well.
1UP Nutrition Company Information
1UP Nutrition was founded in 2013 by Vadim Mordovin and John Hilton. The About Us section of the company website says they are both “expert fitness coaches” and “advocates for a healthy lifestyle”.
The company is based in the United States with its headquarters listed at the address 8220 Commerce Way, Hialeah, Florida. 33016. USA. There is also a customer service email and phone number on their website 1upnutrition.com.
Along with their Organic Reds and Greens, 1UP Nutrition also makes a variety of other health and fitness products like protein powders, collagen supplements and weight loss formulas.
The brand is promoted heavily on social media sites like Instagram, TikTok and Facebook by fitness influencers and these collaborations appear to be responsible for the recent rise in popularity of 1UP Nutrition products.
This article is focused on 1UP Nutrition’s Greens and Reds product though. Let’s see what’s in it, if it works and whether it’s worth buying.
1UP Reds and Greens Ingredients
Here is the complete list of the Vegan Reds and Greens ingredients in 2023:
Organic Greens Complex 4 g (4000 mg)
Organic Greens Blend (Organic Spinach Powder, Organic Parsley Powder, Organic Kale Powder, Organic Barley Grass Powder, Organic Wheat Grass Powder, Organic Spirulina Powder, Organic Chlorella Powder, Organic Green Pepper Powder, Organic Green Apple Powder, Organic Green Banana Powder, Organic Sweet Potato Powder & Organic Broccoli Powder)
Organic Prebiotic Fiber 2 g (2000 mg)
Organic Antioxidant Reds Complex 1.5 g (1500 mg)
Organic Strawberry, Organic Raspberry, Organic Blueberry
Organic Tart Cherry, Organic Pomegranate, Organic Cranberry & Organic Beet
Organic Metabolic Complex 1 g (1000mg)
Organic Ginger Powder, Organic Licorice Powder, Organic Turmeric Powder & Organic Green Tea Powder
Digestive Enzymes Complex 100 mg
Heat-stable Probiotic (Bacillus Coagulans) 3 Billion CFU
Citric Acid, Natural Flavor & Organic Stevia Extract
Here is the Supplement Facts label for 1UP Nutrition Vegan Greens and Reds Superfoods:
It’s an impressive ingredients list with many nutritional standouts, and a few potential side effects and precautions I’ll cover ahead.
Pros and Cons of Vegan Reds and Greens
- All ingredients in this powdered reds and greens supplement are USDA-certified organic and lab-tested for impurities. This is reassuring for customers concerned about pesticides and other contaminants.
- Organic Greens Blend is the largest part of the formula at 4 grams per serving. By convention, the highest additions by weight are listed first. Organic spinach, parsley, kale, barley grass, wheatgrass and spirulina are the first 6 ingredients. These are all highly nutritious superfoods, full of important vitamins, minerals and other nutrients, like protective carotenoids and detoxifying chlorophyll.
- Organic Antioxidant Reds Complex has strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, tart cherry, pomegranate, cranberry and beet. Berries like these are a concentrated source of polyphenol antioxidants. Though at 1.5 grams it’s clear that there are more greens than reds in 1UP Nutrition’s formulation.
- Organic Metabolic Complex contains ginger, licorice, turmeric and green tea. These are all potent herbal superfoods to support digestive function and weight loss efforts.
- Heat-stable probiotic Bacillus Coagulans improves overall gut health and has been shown in scientific studies to have anti-inflammatory and immune-modulating effects.
- 100 mg of DigeZyme in the Digestive Enzymes Complex contains amylase, cellulase, lactase, lipase and protease. While a small amount, these enzymes can help break down various elements in foods like carbohydrates, proteins, fiber and fats. This appears to be a new addition to the formula in 2023.
- 1UP Nutrition recommends a serving size of 10 grams and lists 30 servings for their Organic Greens and Reds powder. The container shows a net weight of 330 grams (11.64 oz) though. If this is correct then you should get 33 servings of 10 grams from the product rather than 30. 11.64 oz is also a bit larger net weight than many competitors.
- Sweetened with natural stevia, only 1 gram of sugar, 2 grams of dietary fiber and just 10 calories in each serving of 1UP Natural Reds and Greens.
- There is a full 2 grams per serving of inulin and fructooligosaccharides in the 1UP Natural Greens and Reds formula. These types of soluble fiber have been shown to improve digestive health for most people over the long term. They can have short term side effects though, such as bloating and gas. Ginger, Bacillus Coagulans and digestive enzymes in the formula may help counteract any negative effects, but I’d personally like to see a bit less inulin/FOS and a bit more of the reds added as a replacement.
- While clearly a premium superfood powder, the listed $55.99 price point may be a bit high for some customers.
- The 1UP Reds and Greens alternative Gaspari Nutrition Greens and Reds is more than $20 cheaper, with a nearly identical ingredients list and larger tub size. You can see it here on iHerb with free USA delivery for a comparison. The only differences I could see is one change in the metabolic complex and less flavor options.
How Does 1UP Natural Greens and Reds Taste?
Vegan Reds and Greens is available in a wide variety of flavors on the 1UP Nutrition website. Since this is the only place the product is sold it is also the only place to read customer reviews on taste.
Reading through this consumer feedback, people seem to either quite like the taste and sweetness, or find it a bit overpowering and some even mention artificial. With a full 12 flavor options at the time of writing, it’s understandable that opinions would be varied on how this greens and reds powder tastes.
There are also some customer comments saying the product doesn’t mix well, though this is to be expected when drinking powdered superfoods stirred into water. It’s recommended to blend them in a blender or shaker for better mixability. Better still, add them to one of these superfood smoothie recipes.
Where to Get 1UP Nutrition Organic Reds and Greens?
Vegan Reds and Greens is not available to purchase at Walmart, Costco, GNC, CVS, Walgreens or Sam’s Club. It’s not even sold at Amazon or other online stores. The only place to buy it is at 1upnutrition.com.
By comparison, you can find an equivalent product called Gaspari Nutrition Proven Greens and Reds, with almost identical identical ingredients and a larger container, for more than $20 less here on iHerb. There’s also an automatic further reduction in the cart for new customers.
Gaspari Greens and Reds is also available here on Amazon, but is currently more expensive there.
Is there a Money-Back Guarantee and Returns Policy?
The 1UP Nutrition website clearly states that there is a “100% Money Back Guarantee”. Reading consumer reviews their service team seems quite active in offering exchanges or refunds to any customers not satisfied with 1UP Vegan Greens and Reds.
This is good to see in comparison to some of the other green powders I’ve covered here on Superfood Profiles where refunds can often be a problem.
Does 1UP Greens and Reds Work and Is It Worth The Price?
The ingredients list for this superfood supplement is impressive and there’s every reason to believe it can boost your nutritional intake of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, especially if your diet isn’t currently that healthy.
As to company statements that Vegan Reds and Greens “promotes wellness”, “boosts metabolism” and “supports a healthy digestive system”, those are much harder to prove. I’d certainly rate this product as having a far better chance of achieving those aims than say Balance of Nature or Grown American Superfood.
Is 1UP Nutrition’s Organic Greens and Reds worth the $55.99 retail price? That would depend on how well it works for you and the benefits you personally feel from using it.
The cost per serving works out at $1.69, which is quite good for a premium greens and reds superfood powder in 2023.
Directions, Side Effects and Precautions
Directions for use recommend that you “mix, shake or blend 1 serving with 10 oz water or your favorite beverage”. 1 or 2 servings per day is also suggested.
Superfood formulas like 1UP Reds and Greens are always best consumed with some healthy fats to improve nutrient absorbability. I mix them with half coconut milk and half water, though almond, hemp or macadamia nut milk are also good choices.
The main potential side effect to be aware of with 1UP Natural Greens and Reds is gas and bloating if you are sensitive to the inulin and fructooligosaccharides in the product. Over time these ingredients can improve gut health, though it’s a good idea to start with a half dose the first time to test your tolerance.
As a precaution, if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or on prescriptions then consult your doctor before consuming any powdered greens and reds like this.
One other concern, hidden in the “What to Avoid” link under the Supplement Facts label on the 1UP Nutrition website, is the statement “Allergen Warning: Manufactured on equipment which processes products containing Milk, Eggs, Soy Beans, Fish Oil, Tree Nuts and Peanuts.”
This information should be listed more clearly if there is any chance of cross-contamination with products like peanuts, which some people are highly allergic to.
Customer Reviews and Complaints
There are close to 20,000 reviews from customers on 1UP Nutrition’s website at the time of writing. A strong testament to the company’s influencer marketing.
The vast majority are 4 and 5-star ratings, though there are much smaller, but not insignificant number of 3, 2 and 1-star ratings.
Fortunately, these read like uncensored consumer feedback and 1UP Nutrition’s customer service seem to be very responsive to any complaints or problems.
Common themes are people either really liking or really disliking the flavor and sweetness. As well as people experiencing the initial bloating and gas I covered in the side effects section, or conversely saying 1UP Greens and Reds Superfoods has helped with digestion issues.
3-star ratings are generally the most balanced customer feedback to read when looking for any common complaints or issues with a nutritional product. Here are some of those selected consumer reports:
“I really like the results this greens powder provides in correlation to less/diminished bloating. It mixes well and tastes good.”
“I love the product and the way it makes me feel but I will not pick mixed berry as a flavor again.”
“Causing some bloating initially.”
“It’s okay, fruit punch isn’t my flavor, it tasted too artificial and strong.
The texture is good and it really works as it cleans my gut right away. I tried it with ice and it tasted better.”
“I just finished my first order of the lemonade flavor and haven’t noticed a big difference yet, besides the fact that it is helping me have more regular bowel movements.”
There are polarized opinions on taste and effects on digestion in reviews on Reddit as well. Though feedback is generally positive on the Reds and Greens product and the 1UP Nutrition company in the fitness and bodybuilding forums I checked.
Verdict and Rating for 1UP Natural Greens and Reds Superfoods
Vegan Reds and Greens by 1UP Nutrition is a well-designed powdered superfood product that covers many nutritional bases and compares well with other greens and reds powders on the market.
Pros include its organic ingredients; good mix of nutrient-rich greens and high antioxidant reds; focus on digestive health with enzymes, probiotics and prebiotics; and its relatively large 10-gram servings and 11.64 oz tub size.
Cons are potential bloating and gas side effects from the 2 grams of inulin and fructooligosaccharides for some people (though starting at a half dose and building up tolerance should minimize this); mixed customer feedback on taste and sweetness of the flavors; the fact that 1UP Reds and Greens is only sold on their website; and the retail price of $55.99.
Overall 1UP Nutrition Organic Reds and Greens appears to be a quality superfood supplement and a good choice if the pros outweigh the cons for you personally. It’s right up there with Organifi Green Juice and Texas Superfood in terms of potency and nutritional content.
4 stars rating is my verdict for this 2023 Vegan Reds and Greens review. You can compare it with the other green powders I’ve covered here. Thank you for reading.