Intestinal parasites are a far more common problem than most people realize. They are also notoriously difficult to diagnose due to the wide variety of symptoms that can result from a parasitic infection.
Some, but by no means all of these symptoms can include bloating and excessive gas, frequent diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, extreme fatigue, an increasing number of allergies and poor general immunity combined with a lack of energy and regular sickness.
The seeds from papaya fruit have anti-helminthic and anti-amoebic properties. This means they kill intestinal worms and other parasitic organisms in your digestive system and using papaya seeds for parasites has proven to be very effective.
A 2007 study of 60 Nigerian children with strong evidence of intestinal parasites showed an over 75% clearance rate of infection in just seven days. This was after receiving a 20 ml dose of papaya seed extract. The researchers said, “papaya seeds are efficacious in treating human intestinal parasites and without significant side effects.” (Effectiveness of dried Carica papaya seeds against human intestinal parasitosis).
Using Papaya Seeds as a Parasite Treatment
There are three main differences between using papaya seeds for digestive health and using them for treating parasites. The first is the amount used, which will be significantly more. The second is that they are taken on an empty stomach, rather than after a large protein meal. And the third is that they are followed with a natural laxative to make sure that as many parasites as possible are expelled after the treatment.
Since chewing up a tablespoon of papaya seeds first in the morning isn’t the nicest way to start the day, here is a papaya seed smoothie recipe for killing parasites I came up. It contains several other powerful anti-parasitic foods to hit the nasties from many different angles.
The papaya seed dosage is quite high, so it would be strongly recommended to have some experience of taking them, preferably in the doses on the previous page, for at least a week before using the larger amount described here.
Additionally, the papaya enzyme warnings and side effects are especially relevant with this natural parasite treatment and it’s best to check that you don’t have an unusual reaction to them by taking a smaller amount first.
If you’ve never used strong digestive enzymes like this before, read that page before scooping out and eating half the seeds in a papaya fruit and then writing in that your stomach is telling you about. It’s hardly surprising. Starting off slow and building up the dosage will be more effective and result in less side effects.
Used at the doses described ahead, papaya seeds have been very effective for parasites for myself and many other people who have commented here and in other online forums. I hope they can work as well for you, but please be patient with the treatment.
Parasites have different life cycles and while some people get results with their first papaya seed smoothie, it’s strongly recommended to continue clearing them out in the ways I’ll describe ahead. Fortunately, it actually tastes really good. Which is something not many intestinal worm treatments could say.
Here’s the recipe and instructions for how to make it.
Parasite Killing Papaya Seed Smoothie Recipe
- Start with a full tablespoon of fresh papaya seeds. Scoop them straight out of the fruit and place them, with a cup of real, unflavored, bio-live yogurt (not the flavored ‘fruit’ kind), or coconut water, in a good blender that is capable of chopping up the seeds.
If your blender isn’t up to the task, you could crush the seeds in a mortar and pestle first, or even on a chopping board in a thick plastic bag with a heavy jar or mallet. They don’t need to be completely ground-up, but it makes sense that crushed seeds will work better than whole ones with their outer shell.
- Add to the blender a third of a small or around a fifth of a large papaya, chopped to fit in your blender. Ideally you’d be looking for a fruit that is just turning from green to yellow, with green more predominant. Papaya like these should still contain useful levels of digestive enzymes, while having a sweetness to it for a good taste.
As to the best papayas to use, I prefer the larger and more popular Mexican and South American fruits to the smaller Hawaiian papayas, of which around 50% to 80% are genetically modified. Please spread the word that not all papayas are GMO as some online resources are reporting, only the majority of Hawaiian fruits. Papayas are extremely good for you and it would be a shame for the fruit to be demonized over just one isolated source.
- Along with the papaya seeds, fruit and yogurt, add a quarter of a cup of raw pumpkin seeds to the blender. Pumpkin seeds are particularly good for paralyzing worms in the lower intestine and add to the effectiveness of the papaya seed actions.
- Add around a quarter of a medium sized pineapple. Pineapples are also rich in digestive enzymes like bromelain that can have an anti-parasitic effect and improve the intestinal environment. And of course they taste great too.
Chop it up well enough to get down into the blades of the blender, but keep the core of your pineapple when you add it to the mix. Pineapple cores are not only full of fiber, they are also the part with the most bromelain.
A decent blender should chop this up fine enough. If it doesn’t, it would still be worth chewing up any small chunks and swallowing them down. And look for something quick and powerful like this if you enjoy well blended smoothies. I wouldn’t be without mine.
- Desiccated coconut is another ingredient known to be good for purging parasites so add two heaped tablespoons to the mix. If you can find fresh coconut, using the coconut water to this parasite treatment smoothie to replace the yogurt and eating as much as you can of the coconut meat straight after it would be even more effective.
- Finally, add a full tablespoon of organic virgin coconut oil. The lauric acid in coconuts is converted to the compound monolaurin in the digestive tract, which can help rid the body of protozea, ringworm and giardia parasites. In fact, if you value your health and the way you look and feel there’s a lot of good reasons to use coconut oil regularly, especially as a replacement to damaging vegetable oils like corn and soy. It can even help treat candida as well as parasites in your gastrointestinal tract.
- As an optional extra, half a dozen or more fresh cloves can also be added to this smoothie. They are said to be especially good at getting rid of parasite eggs and may be even more effective mixed in with the digestive enzymes in this smoothie to break down the protective coating that cover intestinal worm’s eggs.
This will change the flavor somewhat, but it’s more of an aftertaste rather than the potency you might get from having these on their own. As with the papaya seeds, the other ingredients really mask the strong flavor.
If you decide to use them, the cloves should be added at the same time as the papaya seeds so they are down near the blades and get well ground up. They are also most effective when they are fresh, organic and non-irradiated cloves like these.
Once you’ve added everything, blend up all of the ingredients on high until the consistency looks good to you. A little more yogurt or coconut water can be added if it’s too thick.
Drink the whole smoothie down in one sitting if you can. The sweetness of the papaya and pineapple should overpower any bitterness from the seeds or cloves. It certainly tastes better than any other parasite treatment I’ve ever tried.
Papaya Seeds Treatment Timing and Duration
Since some parasites are believed to be paralyzed by a treatment rather than killed outright, it is also beneficial to follow it with a natural laxative to expel the worms and other nasties before they can recover.
Ayurvedic triphala powder is one of the few truly beneficial laxatives for occasional use. You can make it up at the same time as the smoothie and let it sit for a couple of hours to increase its effectiveness.
Follow the directions for the stronger dose in the page on taking triphala for digestive health and drink it around two hours after you finish the smoothie and before eating anything else. With all of these healthy foods blended up, you’ll find this smoothie quite filling so you shouldn’t be too hungry.
For an even more powerful laxative, a food grade and cold pressed castor oil can be taken. Be aware that this stuff really works and I wouldn’t take it if I had to leave the house in the next few hours.
Some people report having intestinal pain when they take castor oil and it also shouldn’t be used by anyone with gastrointestinal disease or women who are pregnant. If you do decide to take it, the suggested dosage is a tablespoon or two (I’d start with one), around two hours after having the smoothie and before any other food.
You’ll may want to follow it with a small glass of citrus juice (I use lemon) to remove any oily aftertaste, but castor oil really does work and will clear out as much as possible. Don’t take it for more than 5 consecutive days and it’s perhaps better taken just on the first day or two of a treatment with the gentler triphala for the remaining days.
Without getting into too much detail, it is sometimes possible to see evidence of the papaya seeds getting rid of parasites when you visit the bathroom. Many parasitic organisms though are either too small, or expelled compacted within the stool.
So don’t be too concerned about whether you see them or not. There’s a good chance this combination of ingredients is making life very difficult for your unwelcome intestinal visitors (the many comments below have some graphic proof if you’re interested).
Far more important, after the initial cleansing, is a reduction in any symptoms you’ve been experiencing and an improvement in your bowel movements. This will naturally lead to increasing energy levels and better health in general.
Be aware though that you may well experience a temporary worsening of symptoms when you first begin any kind of internal cleansing. This is commonly referred to as a healing crisis.
With this papaya seed parasite treatment you should usually feel significantly better after visiting the bathroom. Always trust what your body is telling you though and consult a knowledgeable healthcare professional if symptoms are prolonged and worsening.
Making up the smoothie three or even four mornings in a row would be a good initial treatment time. Many of us have offices to go to during the week though and triphala at the higher doses, and especially castor oil, are very effective at their jobs.
Given this, drinking the smoothie on both Saturday and Sunday morning for two weekends in a row should be just as effective. As a precaution, no laxatives should be taken for more than five days in a row (triphala is fine at the lower doses for longer term use).
It is also a very good idea to repeat the treatment again in around two weeks time from when you finished and then again in another two weeks after that, even if you are feeling much better. The reason for this is to coincide with the breeding cycles of common parasites, such as tapeworms, hookworms and pinworms.
It is often possible for a cleanse to be effective at removing adult parasites and intestinal worms, but not before they have laid their eggs, which are said to often be even more difficult to remove. By repeating the treatment three times over a 6 week period there’s a much better chance of interrupting this breeding cycle.
Some resources even recommend continuing treatments for up to 3 months to be completely sure that you have dealt with intestinal worms and other kinds of parasites at their various life cycles.
Hopefully you’ll enjoy the taste of this smoothie and the ingredients in it are good for your digestive health in many other ways. Given that, perhaps you’d consider having it as a preventative against parasites every second or third weekend as I do.
Personally, I’ve noticed a real increase in my energy levels and general health since making this smoothie up on a fairly regular basis. Unfortunately, parasites are everywhere, including the ‘developed’ world. But by using this papaya seed smoothie or some of the the other parasitic treatments ahead, you should be able to make your intestinal environment far from favorable for them.
Other Effective Parasite Products
There are a few other treatments and supporting products that can be used in conjunction with this papaya seed smoothie to greatly improve its effectiveness. Alternatively, the following can be used as a different parasite treatment if you don’t have the ingredients, equipment or time to make it.
Since it can be very difficult to diagnose specific parasites, and different parasite cures work for different people, it can be necessary to experiment with a variety of different treatments until you find what works for you. Here are some recommended ones.
- Oregano oil can be an effective treatment for parasites and especially the microscopic parasitic protozoa like blastocystis hominis. Enteric coated capsules of high potency oregano oil can be taken with this smoothie to make it even more powerful. As well as protozoa parasites, the active compounds in oregano may also help to control candida overgrowth, another important health issue that is said to often go hand in hand with a parasitic infection.
- Black walnut, wormwood and cloves are a well known treatment for parasites popularized by Dr Hulda Clark. The strength and potency of these preparations varies considerably though, and they have be done properly to be effective. Much more detail on this kind of treatment in How to Use Black Walnut for Parasites and Intestinal Worms.
- Something I use on a regular basis, even when not concerned about potential parasites, is a product called Oxy-powder. Made from oxygenated magnesium and organic germanium-132, it is very effective at keeping the colon clean and removing the compacted waste that the parasites thrive in.
Using around half a dozen Oxy-Powder capsules the night before each anti-parasite smoothie should greatly improve the papaya seeds and other ingredients effectiveness by reducing the places in the lower intestine for the worms and other nasties to hide.
- Paratrax is another powerful intestinal worm killing formula for people who are short on time. Made from organic black walnut, wormwood, American wormseed, organic cloves and several other parasite expelling herbs, it is formulated by Doctor Group at the Global Healing Center and is simple to take, convenient and very effective.
- Once you’re finished a parasite treatment course, and especially after ever taking antibiotics, it is very important to repopulate the intestinal environment with beneficial microorganisms. Latero-Flora is a special kind of pro-biotic that, unlike some other kinds, survives the stomach acids when taken and can greatly improve the balance of friendly bacteria in your gastrointestinal tract.
Not only can this enhance your overall immune system, the Bacillus Laterosporus organisms in Latero-Flora actually puncture the cell membranes of some pathogenic bacteria and fungi in your gastrointestinal tract and consume them. These good bacteria don’t just passively attempt to out compete the bad ones, they actually get to work actively removing them.
Using papaya seeds for parasites, or doing any other kind of a parasite cleanse may seem like a lot of effort, but many people are amazed at just how good they feel after a successful treatment.
The whole topic of parasites is such an important subject it deserves an entire website to itself. Until I have time for that, I’d recommend reading the detailed cleansing instructions at the Global Healing Center’s site as a good place to start.
Thank you for all the helpful and insightful comments to this page. They are well worth reading, but due to the sheer number of them actually slowing down its loading, I’ll continue the discussion at Eating Papaya Seeds for Digestive Health.
Please see the first comment on this page for some more useful information on professional parasite treatment options and practitioners I’ve found.
I also have to state again that I am not a doctor or parasite specialist, just someone who studied the subject and found something that worked for me and wanted to share it. From all the positive comments I’ve received, it seems to be working for many other people as well.
Despite this, some of those who have written in sound to be seriously ill and I think need to see a professional as soon as possible. It’s not the place of online writers to be advising on this (especially when they’re often away as I am). If your current doctor refuses to discuss your concerns about parasites then I’d recommend finding a specialist that will.
Here is a list of physicians who offer clinical consultative service in Tropical Medicine and Medical Parasitology that I hope will be a good place to start.
I firmly believe natural treatments, like papaya seeds for parasites, can be effective for intestinal worms and other parasitic organisms, but if you are experiencing serious symptoms then please seek out a knowledgeable healthcare professional and get well.
All the best in your healing.