Intestinal parasites are a far more common problem than most people realize. They are also notoriously difficult to diagnose due to the wide variety of symptoms that can result from a parasitic infection.
Some, but by no means all, of these symptoms can include bloating and excessive gas, frequent diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, extreme fatigue, an increasing number of allergies and poor general immunity with a lack of energy and regular sickness.
The seeds from papaya fruit have anti-helminthic and anti-amoebic properties, meaning they kill intestinal worms and other parasites in our digestive system and using papaya seeds for parasites has proven to be very effective.
A 2007 study of 60 Nigerian children with strong evidence of intestinal parasites showed an over 75% clearance rate of infection in just seven days. This was after receiving a 20 ml dose of papaya seed extract. The researchers said “… papaya seeds are efficacious in treating human intestinal parasites and without significant side effects.” (Effectiveness of dried Carica papaya seeds against human intestinal parasitosis).
Using Papaya Seeds as a Parasite Treatment
There are three main differences between using papaya seeds for digestive health and using them for parasites. The first is the amount used, which will be significantly more. The second is that they are taken on an empty stomach, rather than with a large meal. And the third is that they are followed with a natural laxative to make sure as many parasites as possible are expelled.
Since chewing up a tablespoon of papaya seeds first in the morning isn’t the nicest way to start the day, here is a papaya seed smoothie recipe for killing parasites I came up. It contains several other powerful anti-parasitic foods to hit the nasties from several different angles.
The papaya seed dosage is quite high so it would be strongly recommended to have some experience of taking them, preferably in the doses on the previous page, for at least a week before using the larger amount described here. Additionally, the papaya enzyme side effects and warnings are especially relevant with the seeds of papaya fruit.
Parasite Killing Papaya Seed Smoothie Recipe
- Start with a full tablespoon of fresh papaya seeds. Scoop them straight out of the fruit and place them, with a cup of real, unflavored, bio-live yogurt (not the flavored ‘fruit’ kind), or coconut water, in a good blender that is capable of chopping up the seeds.
If your blender isn’t up to the task, you could crush the seeds in a mortar and pestle first, or even on a chopping board in a thick plastic bag with a heavy jar or mallet. They don’t need to be completely ground-up, but it makes sense that crushed seeds will work better than whole ones with their outer shell.
- Add to the blender half a small or a quarter of a large chopped papaya. Ideally you’d be looking for a fruit that is just turning from green to yellow, with green more predominant. Papaya like these should still contain useful levels of digestive enzymes, while having a sweetness to it for a good taste.
As to the best papayas to use, I prefer the larger and more popular Mexican and South American fruits to the smaller Hawaiian papayas that may have GMO issues. Papayas are also not considered to be a fruit with a high pesticide load so organic, while preferable, isn’t vital if you’re on a budget.
- Along with the papaya seeds, fruit and yogurt, add a quarter of a cup of raw pumpkin seeds to the blender. Pumpkin seeds are particularly good for paralyzing worms in the lower intestine and add to the effectiveness of the papaya seed actions.
- Add around a third of a medium sized pineapple. Pineapples are also rich in digestive enzymes like bromelain that can have an anti-parasitic effect and improve the intestinal environment. And of course they taste great too.
Chop it up well enough to get down into the blades of the blender, but keep the core of your pineapple when you add it to the mix. Pineapple cores are not only full of fiber, they are also the part with the most bromelain.
A decent blender should chop this up fine enough. If it doesn’t, it would still be worth chewing up any small chunks and swallowing them down. And look for something like this if you enjoy well blended smoothies. I wouldn’t be without mine.
- Desiccated coconut is another ingredient known to be good for purging parasites. Add two heaped tablespoons. If you can find fresh coconut, adding the coconut water to this papaya seed smoothie to replace the yogurt and eating as much as you can of the coconut meat straight after it would be even more effective.
- Finally, add a full tablespoon of organic virgin coconut oil. The lauric acid in coconuts is converted to the compound monolaurin in the digestive tract, which can help rid the body of protozea, ringworm and giardia parasites.
- As an optional extra, half a dozen or more fresh cloves can also be added to this smoothie. They are said to be especially good at getting rid of parasite eggs and may be even more effective mixed in with the digestive enzymes in this smoothie to break down the protective coating that cover intestinal worm’s eggs.
This will change the flavor somewhat but it’s more of an aftertaste rather than the potency you might get from having these on their own. As with the papaya seeds, the other ingredients really mask the strong flavor.
The cloves should be added at the same time as the papaya seeds so they are down near the blades and get well ground up. They are also most effective when they are fresh, organic and non-irradiated cloves like these.
Once you’ve added everything, blend up all of the ingredients on high until the consistency looks good to you. A little more yogurt or coconut water can be added if it’s too thick.
Drink the whole smoothie down in one sitting if you can. The sweetness of the papaya fruit and pineapple should overpower any bitterness from the seeds or skin. It certainly tastes better than any other parasite treatment I’ve ever tried.
Papaya Seeds Treatment Timing and Duration
The best time to drink this anti-parasite smoothie would be first thing in the morning on an empty stomach before food.
Since some parasites are believed to be paralyzed by a treatment rather than killed outright, it is also beneficial to follow it with a natural laxative to expel the worms and other nasties before they can recover.
Ayurvedic triphala powder is one of the few truly beneficial laxatives for occasional use. You can make it up at the same time as the smoothie and let it sit for a couple of hours to increase its effectiveness.
Follow the directions for the stronger dose in How to Take Triphala for Digestive Health and take it around two hours after you finish the smoothie and before eating anything else. With all of these healthy foods blended up, you’ll find it quite filling so you shouldn’t be too hungry.
For an even more powerful laxative, a natural and expeller pressed castor oil can be taken. Be aware that this stuff really works and I wouldn’t take it if I had to leave the house in the next few hours.
Some people report having intestinal pain when they take castor oil and it also shouldn’t be used by anyone with gastrointestinal disease or women who are pregnant. If you do decide to take it, the recommended dosage is a tablespoon or two (I’d start with one), around two hours after having the smoothie and before any other food.
You’ll probably want to follow it with a small glass of citrus juice (I use lemon) to get rid of the flavor in your mouth, but castor oil really does work and will clear out as much as possible. Don’t take it for more than 5 consecutive days and it’s perhaps better taken just on the first day of a treatment with the gentler triphala for the remaining days.
Without getting into too much detail, it is sometimes possible to see evidence of the papaya seeds and other ingredients working when you visit the bathroom. Many parasites though are either too small, or expelled compacted within the stool.
So don’t be too concerned about whether you see them or not. There’s a good chance this combination of ingredients is making life very difficult for your unwelcome intestinal visitors (the many comments below have some graphic proof if you’re interested).
Far more important, after the initial cleansing, is a reduction in any symptoms you’ve been experiencing and an improvement in your bowel movements. This will naturally lead to increasing energy levels and better health in general.
Be aware though that you may well experience a temporary worsening of symptoms when you first begin any kind of internal cleansing. This is commonly referred to as a healing crisis. With this papaya seed treatment you should usually feel significantly better after visiting the bathroom. Always trust what your body is telling you though and consult a knowledgeable healthcare professional if symptoms are prolonged and worsening.
Making up the smoothie three or even four mornings in a row would be a good initial treatment time. Many of us have offices to go to during the week though and triphala at the higher doses, and especially castor oil, are very effective at their jobs.
Given this, drinking the smoothie on both Saturday and Sunday morning for two weekends in a row should be just as effective. As a precaution, no laxatives should be taken for more than five days in a row (triphala is fine at the lower doses for longer term use).
It can also be a very good idea to repeat the treatment again in around two weeks time from when you finished and then again in another two weeks after that, even if you are feeling much better. The reason for this is to coincide with the breeding cycles of common parasites, such as tapeworms, hookworms and pinworms.
It is often possible for a cleanse to be effective at removing adult parasites and intestinal worms, but not before they have laid their eggs, which are said to often be even more difficult to remove. By repeating the treatment three times over a 6 week period there’s a much better chance of interrupting this breeding cycle. Some resources even recommend continuing treatments for up to 3 months to be completely sure that you have dealt with all parasites at their various life cycles.
Other Effective Parasite Products
There are a few other treatments and supporting products that can be used in conjunction with this papaya seed smoothie to greatly improve its effectiveness. Alternatively, the following can be used as a different parasite treatment if you don’t have the ingredients, equipment or time to make it.
- Black walnut, wormwood and cloves are a well known treatment for parasites popularized by Dr Hulda Clark. The strength and potency of these preparations varies considerably though, and they have be done properly to be effective. Much more detail on this kind of treatment in Using Black Walnut for Parasites and Intestinal Worms.
- Oregano oil can be an effective treatment for parasites and especially the microscopic parasitic protozoa like blastocystis hominis. Enteric coated capsules of high potency oregano oil can be taken with this smoothie to make it even more powerful. The active compounds in oregano may also help to control candida overgrowth, another important health issue that is said to often go hand in hand with a parasitic infection.
- Something I use on a regular basis, even when not concerned about potential parasites, is a product called Oxy-powder. Made from oxygenated magnesium and organic germanium-132, it is very effective at keeping the colon clean and removing the compacted waste that the parasites thrive in.
Using around half a dozen Oxy-Powder capsules the night before each anti-parasite smoothie should greatly improve the papaya seeds and other ingredients effectiveness by reducing the places in the lower intestine for the worms and other nasties to hide.
- Paratrax is another powerful intestinal worm killing formula for people who are short on time. Made from organic black walnut, wormwood, American wormseed, organic cloves and several other parasite expelling herbs, it is formulated by Doctor Group at the Global Healing Center and is simple to take, convenient and very effective.
- Once you’re finished a parasite treatment course, and especially after ever taking antibiotics, it is very important to repopulate the intestinal environment with beneficial microorganisms. Latero-Flora is a new kind of pro-biotic that, unlike some other kinds, survives the stomach acids when taken and can greatly improve the balance of friendly bacteria in your gastrointestinal tract.
Not only can this enhance your overall immune system, the Bacillus Laterosporus organisms in Latero-Flora actually puncture the cell membranes of some pathogenic bacteria and fungi in your gastrointestinal tract and consume them. These good bacteria don’t just passively attempt to outcompete the bad ones, they actually get to work actively removing them.
Using papaya seeds for parasites, or doing any other kind of a parasite cleanse may seem like a lot of effort, but many people are amazed at just how good they feel after a successful treatment. The whole topic of parasites is such an important subject it deserves an entire website to itself. Until I have time for that, I’d recommend reading the detailed cleansing instructions at the Global Healing Center’s site as a good place to start.
* Thank you for all the helpful comments to this page. They are well worth reading but due to the sheer number of them slowing down its loading, I’ll continue the discussion at The Surprising Health Benefits of Papaya Seeds. Please see the last comment on this page for some more useful information on parasite treatment options. *
Photo 1 credit with thanks: The World Through Athene’s Eyes’
Photo 2 credit with thanks: Vegan Feast Catering
Photo 3 credit with thanks: Meni’s Style and A S O !
Photo 4 credit with thanks: jorgeBrazil